Tuesday, October 27, 2015

What Prophecy Looks Like


"I'm getting a picture of...a burnt orange room, like with a bunch of posters on the wall. And a bunk bed," said my friend to me in class this morning. We were both in the Prophetics class, and we were practicing how to prophesy over each other (BSSM is a very safe place to do that!). "Does this make any sense to you?" She asked and of course she would, because to her, she only knew what God was saying and had no idea that a burnt orange room, posters and a bunk bed would mean anything profound and encouraging to me.

"Yes," I said, with a growing smile. "When I lived in Canada, my room was burnt orange and I hated the color so much that I covered it with posters." Then I proceeded to tell her that when I was little, both my brothers had a bunkbed that revolved around some of our best childhood memories.

My friend was astonished, because clearly she had no idea that it actually did make sense to me, and more than that, it was very personal--only something God would have known. But prophesying isn't just about being accurate, but using those facts as a message from God to uplift and encourage a person. So my friend continued, and said: "No matter which room you're in and wherever you're at, Jesus wants to bunk with you."

That was an awesome prophetic word, because I was very encouraged about my relationship between Jesus and I. No matter where I am at in life, Jesus wants to be my friend and the bottom bunker. And he used someone else to tell me that, using a specific room and a very fond childhood object to get his point across.

If it weren't for my friend stepping out in faith, listening to God and simply telling me what He was saying, I would have never been encouraged.

So if you're new to the whole "Prophecy" thing, I can tell you a bit of what it is, just as the story exemplifies. First and definitely foremost, prophecy is meant to be used to edify and encourage the church. It isn't something to call out people's sins or condemn them. "But one who prophesies strengthens others, encourages them, and comforts them." (1 Corinthians 14:3 NLT) Secondly, anyone who knows God's voice can prophecy--even King Saul did while he was chasing David to kill him (1 Samuel 10:9-11).

The thing that scares people about prophecy, though, is whether or not it's accurate. If you're prophesying over someone, how do you know if you're hearing God?

Here's a mind-blower: God's first language isn't English. In fact, we don't know what His first language is--but I can tell you that the most common way He speaks to people is through dreams and visions. Visions (not just an epic experience you see with your physical eye) are most often pictures that you get in your head whenever you ask God about something. That's what my friend experienced! She saw a burnt orange room, posters and a bunkbed. The next step was telling me, and having faith in God that it would edify me somehow in which later He provided the answer.

God also speaks using creation/nature (Romans 1:20), numbers and letters (Genesis 41:26), your senses such as what you see, feel, taste and hear (Acts 2:2), and so many other ways. Never limit Him to one form of communicating with you! You can't put God in a box--trust me.

The red flag for receiving prophecy is when the word given to you is not encouraging. If you leave that person feeling worse than you came, then it was definitely not from God. God is good ALL THE TIME. He would never discourage you.

Lastly, prophecy should be used in the church to edify others more than tongues. "I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so that the church may be edified." (1 Corinthians 14:5) Boom! Crazy to think that Paul would put one gift above another, but only because of how important it is to encourage one another!

So take heart, my lovely readers. Prophecy isn't scary. God speaks to you every day. He wants to encourage you, and more-so he wants to use you to encourage someone else! What a happy family of believers we'll be if we learn to do this more often!

And that'll make for a fine, fine life!

No comments:

Post a Comment