Sunday, June 2, 2013

The Flight of the Fortune Cookie


Oh fortunes cookies...How sometimes eerily accurate you are. I feel a need to express my recent journeys and feelings through...poem.


TWAS JUST ANOTHER DAY...as any other day,
my good friend Maggie and I went out to eat the Chinese way.
(You see I bothered her when my cravings were due that I longed to eat some tasty, foreign food!)

We laughed and giggled and choked on said food
just like any other good friends just happened to do,
schpieling here and there about our journeys we shared,
and the journeys we ventured that others don't dare.

I shared of tales of snow and ice,
how I slept with my thermostat on "Extremely High" every night.
I shared how I learned to speak a foreign tongue,
Like "Bienvenue au Canada!"

I shared how Frost Giants drink there tea,
Something that had to do with whiskey or bees.
I shared how their favorite sport was also like football,
Just with a little less yelling and a lot more brawl.

As I went on to share my long journey's tale,
Maggie must have wondered how I didn't look so pale.
Of course it was because I had already been in Texas for a few days,
And one second outside would either tan your skin or simply peel it away.

I smiled and laughed when I noticed how far I've come,
not just with my skin color but all the things in eight months I've done.
I've mastered the art of driving in the snow,
And hot-tubbing outside when it's negative thirty below.

I've fallen in love and made new friends,
But now I began to wonder how the journey all ends.
As Maggie and I took our fortune cookies out the door,
I broke the shell and read words I may or may not have heard before.

These words hit close to home as I sat in Maggie's car,
Knowing that God, Armando and my friends are never too far!
As the fortune cookie read, the journey never ends
Because a part of us remains wherever we have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment